What’s Going On Here?
On Monday 7th October (this coming Monday), thousands of Extinction Rebellion (XR) activists will be hitting the streets around the world to demand climate and ecological justice.
What Does This Mean?
Thought you were done with your climate activism? Think again! You probably heard about them causing havoc in April e.g. by glueing themselves to various buildings or flashing their bare bots in the Commons ????. Yep, XR is calling another International Rebellion!
While many brave XR protesters face London courts this week, the rebel’s next wave of demonstrations are about to kick off – across 60 cities worldwide. In London, they aim to peacefully occupy 12 sites around Westminster for two weeks (see map below) – or for as long as it takes for the government to act…
They are expecting the protests to be three times the size of April’s, so keep that placard out – it’s going to be mahoosive!
Why Should We Care?
XR’s approach is to use mass ‘non-violent direct action and civil disobedience’ to put pressure on the government, and it works! Amazingly, the UK Parliament declared a ‘Climate Emergency’ shortly after the last rebellion in April. This was great for publicity and generally raising awareness, but without urgent and decisive action to back it up – it’s pretty damn meaningless.
XR is demanding the government to tell the truth about the ecological emergency; halt biodiversity loss and reduce carbon emissions to zero by 2025; and set up a citizens assembly on climate and ecological justice. ????
We spoke to Doro, 71, grandmother of five, who was arrested during the last rebellion and is awaiting trial:
“I feel frightened when I think about the climate emergency, I am frightened for my children and grandchildren. We need to rebel because this government is not doing anything, they are business as usual. Humans just need to realise they are part of the ecosystem they are not above it – they have to be part of it.”Doro, 71
If Doro’s wise words don’t get you inspired, well – maybe give Greta’s helpline a ring ????.
- 10am, Monday 7th October. Westminster. See you on the streets!
- Reach out to your local XR group and join an Affinity Group (team of 8-12 people who you can do actions with) if you can.
- You don’t need to get arrested to do your bit, there are tonnes of roles that need filling (check them out here). There are also heaps of training sessions, workshops and events to get you feelin’ all rebellious and ready for action!
- Simply turning up and loitering helps, so get your mooch on.
- Spread the word and invite your friends, family and neighbours.
- Can’t take time off work? Check out these 12 things to do during the rebellion.
- Stay safe and stay peaceful peeps! ✌️